Friday, December 10, 2010

Cleaning House

Confession #1:  I haven't been on facebook in 10 days.

Confession #2:  I had to have Justin change my password because I have no willpower.



The truth is...except for the un-flattering picture tag that I wasn't able to remove, the photo comment and wall post I can't respond to, and that fact that I can't post this adorable/kind of silly photo of Luke as my new profile pic...I actually feel freer. I still have a ton of stuff in my head all the time (who doesn't?), but it's pleasant to know that it's mostly my stuff in there and not the random knowledge that the girl who lived across from me in college is in Switzerland for the holidays or that some random work colleague got hit on by a homeless person during her walk to work.

Sure, I am a little concerned that I'll miss out on some big news like a proposal, pregnancy or new job announcement, but I figure the hiatus will just force me to work a little harder to find out what the 10 or so people I actually care about are doing and not so much the other 340 on my friends list. And, in a season where I really need to devote 8 hours a day to work, a few hours a day to my child and all the leftover time to creating personal Christmas gifts, holiday decorating and other frivolity, I've found my productivity level has increased dramatically.

So... though I'm sure I haven't been missed much in only 10 days, I'm thinking I may make an appearance on facebook again in a couple of weeks. Then again, maybe not. I'm waiting until the habit is broken and I can be sure that I can control myself. In the meantime, I will be hanging out in a place WAY less narcissistic...my blog. :) Ha ha.

3 comments:

Stephanie Stull said...

No wonder you didn't comment on my big FB announcement! ;)

Emily Grunder said...

I want to quit Facebook, very hard with connections I've made due to vcfs

k said...

I think that is great! The truth is that I just log into FB out of habit and even though I only keep 150 or so friends, I can still say that the majority of them aren't really my friends.

I had to laugh at your blog comment! I was JUST telling Rob that my blog has become increasingly narcissistic since attempting to make a few bucks off of it. I just try to tell myself that it's really for my kids and that they'll always have a record of their childhood (plus some lame What I Wore Wednesday shots of their mom haha!).