Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving!

(Luke celebrates his actual birthday on Thanksgiving eve at Cheesecake Factory. He also had a candle in his pancakes at Mimi's that morning.)

I love Thanksgiving! It's one of my favorite holidays. I think it's the food and the fact that it involves pumpkin-y things. The last two years have been a bit out of the norm for our Thanksgiving routine. Last year we brought Luke home from the hospital on Thanksgiving and didn't get to do our usual festivities (although Marie Callendar's at home was just fine Mom.) :)  Usually we are up and at 'em early making a grand tour of the bay area. We wake up in the east bay at my in-laws, drive across the bay to San Mateo for Justin's high school alumni water polo game, then back across the bay to Hayward to the Grandparent-in-laws for an amazing Thanksgiving meal before going to back to my in-laws in Lafayette. This year, Serra High School's swimming pool is under construction, which meant no water polo game. The family was mildly interested in participating in a 5K fun run (something Sommer and I did in 2007 - our pic is even on the TurkeyTrailTrot.com website!), but when the rubber met the road (pun intended) we never signed up and our plans to go sign up on race day never materialized. We contemplated getting up and running a mile loop around the neighborhood in our PJ's, but instead opted to sit around and watch my MIL make swedish pancakes. We did take a leisurely walk to Starbucks, so at least moderate exercise was involved before the big meal.

Once at the grandparents, we attempted some family Christmas card photos.


On Friday, Sommer and I got up at the crack of dawn (ok, 5am) and went to Michael's for some deals and then to the mall. (Prior to that we stopped at Starbucks for some venti chai teas - we needed serious caffeination.)


 GAP was having a 50% discount, which made the prices just about in the normal range for me. We started out with one item each. By the time we had waited TWO hours in line, our piles looked like this:


We also scored these super cute shoes that neither of us could justify for ourselves, so we decided to give them to each other as Christmas presents. You have no idea how hard it is to have super cute sparkly shoes in the house in MY exact size and NOT be able to wear them. Christmas can't come soon enough!


This was my attempt at the Tree of Thanks that Pottery Barn was selling (for $65, ridic!) We added a leaf each day and said something new we were thankful for as we counted down both to Luke's birthday and Thanksgiving. For those of you counting, we missed a few days there toward the end. Next year I think I'll make a fun Thanksgiving banner or something to make the tree look a little less random.


Hope you had an amazing Thanksgiving as well!

4 comments:

Stephanie Stull said...

I was wondering what the leaves were...I had never noticed it before! Btw, Luke looks about 4 years old in the birthday pic - ahh! I guess it's the angle =)

Shelly said...

You crazy shopper girl! I don't know what I'm saying. I'm such a sucker for GAP clothes and especially their sales. Your shoes are gorgeous and I like the swapping Christmas presents during holiday shopping months. I'm going to keep that tip tucked away.

Becky said...

Shelly - I have the blog world to thank for my purchase of FOUR pairs of GAP tights on Black Friday. For a second I thought, "I can get tights anywhere" and then I remembered that someone's blog extolled the virtues of GAP tights and I went for it. So far I've worn the navy blue ones and can say with authority that they are amazing!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.