Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's in Our Mailbox



Justin and I have really stepped up our game when it comes to our subscriptions to print products. Thanks to the downturn in the market, super cheap subscription rates, and a massive gift card to amazon.com, we have added several magazines to our repertoire. It's kind of ridiculous. There aren't many marketing tactics I give in to, but I'm a sucker for those "2 years for $12 and a free handbag" offers.

Here's what we're reading:
U.S. News and World Report 
Forbes
Outdoor
Wired
Inc.
Entrepreneur
Fast Company
Entertainment Weekly (I've been a subscriber to EW for years and years! I love it!)
Lucky
Parenting
Working Mother
Parents

Justin seems to think we also ordered National Geographic, but it has yet to arrive. And if I didn't put the kibosh on it, I wouldn't be surprised if we had added Cottage Living and Real Simple to that list. All in good time I'm sure.

**Side Note:  When I was in college my good friend Simon, now a dentist, MY dentist as a matter of fact, signed up for a credit card with the prefix "Dr." on it. That resulted in a deluge of magazine samples, presumably to get him to subscribe for his waiting room. He received dozens and dozens of magazines until he had a couple of stacks 3 or 4 feet high in his apartment. All with fascinating titles like American Horseman or Cowboy Life. It was awesome. Not sure if those samples inspired his current waiting room selection...

Oh and shoutout to my college roomie Diana who I just discovered is a reader of my blog. :) 

4 comments:

k said...

So that's why there's all those obscure magazines in dr's offices!
My favorite subscription is Sunset. Even though I'm not a Ca girl any more I love the recipes, pictures and features.

Shelly said...

Becky,

I have to admit that I am rather jealous of you. I am a sucker for magazines in general, but Ted doesn't really like them because they "clutter our house". WHAT IS HE THINKING?! In my opinion, you should add National Geographic (if you haven't already) and Real Simple. They are a "must" on the magazine list.

Becky said...

Yes! Just had dinner with dr. Simon last night and he says cowboy life is in his waiting room, so clearly he was inspired!

And Shelley, all these subsciptions DO create a lot of clutter! I will put Real Simple under consideration.

Di said...

Heeaaay!!! Thanks for the shout out! :-) Love the blog!