Friday, February 26, 2010
Frame of Reference
Somewhat uncomfortable conversations I've had recently in the grocery store check out line:
Situation #1: At Bel Air on my way to my cousin's house in Yuba for big Curry family dinner. My parents and Luke are out in the car. I am buying a German chocolate cake.
Young Male Cashier: Do you need a bag for this?
Me: No, it's not going to make it very far.
YMC: Um, okaaaay then. (He acts slightly uncomfortable and eyes me suspiciously like I'm about to rip off the plastic cover and shove my face into the cake right there.)
Me: (slightly embarrassed, but not as much as I would have been pre-baby - having a million people see my lady bits has lowered my inhibitions considerably - so I say cheekily) Well, I mean, I'll at least make sure I get it out to the car ha ha (smile, wink).
Situation #2: At Podesto's around 7:30pm on a weekday. J and I just finished dinner and I needed a cookie fix. I buy six cookies of varying kinds (hey - I'm breastfeeding and I can people!).
Young Male Cashier (Again!) must ring up about 4 different tags because my myriad cookies were all different types and prices from the bakery section.
YMC: You guys have a good night.
Me (Winningily): Thanks! You too!
I get out to the car and began to wonder what he meant by "you guys." I was in the store by myself. He didn't know my husband and baby were in the car. By "you guys" did he mean me and my cookies? Did he think I was going home to have a fun night by myself with my six cookies? Did he just assume I was buying cookies for 2? Am I reading too much into this? :)
Bottom line: I love cookies...and cake...and I don't care who knows it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment