Monday, September 14, 2009

The Family that Pricks Together Sticks Together



Nine years ago Justin was diagnosed with Type 1/juvenile diabetes. 8 days ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (after suffering through 3 mind numbing hours at the Kaiser lab - saved only by the fact that they played High School Musical in the waiting room). We now have matching glucose meters and test strips. I decorated mine with pink puffy paint so we wouldn't get them mixed up. There is one major difference between our conditions - mine will go away in 11 weeks (and doesn't require medication), his unfortunately, will not (and does). In the meantime, I get to live in his world for little while and experience the joys of 4 finger pricks a day.

The gestational diabetes diagnosis came as somewhat of a surprise. I mean, I have done everything right during pregnancy. I lost 10 pounds in the beginning (which I'm proud to say I still haven't completely gained back) by eating healthier and exercising more regularly, I drink at least 12 glasses of water a day, I avoid most sweets (in fact my only "craving" has been turkey sandwiches with swiss cheese, which I satisfy daily at lunch), I spend at least 40 minutes a day walking to and from work, I go on longer walks or swim in the evenings, the list goes on. They say GD happens because of normal pregnancy hormones and was not caused by any fault of my own, but it's still slightly embarrassing.

At any rate, I am now paying even stricter attention to my diet, having weekly phone appointments with a dietician, being even more conscientious of my exercise schedule, and bonding with Justin over our shared condition. (And annoying the crud out of him because I'm being so anal about it.) So far my blood sugar levels are staying in the normal range. Take that gestational diabetes!

5 comments:

k said...

Oh wow Becky. I remember taking those GD tests and always being nervous for the outcome. I never had it, but it sounds like you're doing everything right. I wish I could lose ten pounds and eat so healthy!

Becky said...

I doubt you have 10 lbs to lose my friend! Not with all that time you put in at the gym! :)

Stephanie Stull said...

Wow! Sorry to hear that, Becky....seems like you're being a trooper, though! = )

Jamie Stavenger said...

I take my glucose test on Monday and, given my intense phobia of needles, I am PRAYING that I don't have it!!! Going in for the initial test is bad enough! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that!

Becky said...

Hopefully you'll be able to stop after the 1 hour test Jamie. At the 3 hour they take blood 4 times! I don't mind needles, so it didn't bother me, but I can't imagine how horrible it would be otherwise. :< I'm sure you'll be fine and sail through with flying colors!