Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Full Circle Philanthropy

Another one from the draft folder...


Years ago. Before Justin and I were even married. We were very involved with a specific church. When they undertook a multi-million dollar building project and asked their assembly for support, I didn't hestiate. I was a poor college student, but I made a three-year-pledge anyway. I looked into Justin's and my shared future and decided it was an important investment to make and I made good on that pledge and saw it through to the last dollar. It was my first significant act of philanthropy.

I hadn't thought about that gift in nearly 10 years.

Then on a sunny day last January I dropped my three-year-old off at his first day of preschool. Feeling a mixture of pride and anxiety, I rode the wave of nostalgia out of the parking lot, thinking about how far we've come in the last 3 years; typical mommy "letting go," child "growing up" feelings. I wasn't expecting the undercurrent to drag me under and leave me a big, soggy mess, but it did.

You see, I had just sent my beautiful first-born into the very building I helped build. A building that was planned for and built long before he was even the proverbial twinkle in our eyes. Before we we were officially an "us," even.

But I knew. Somewhere in my soul I planned for him. And because of him, or at least the thought of him, I made the commitment to give. And even though we are no longer affiliated with this particular church, my boy is still benefiting from that gift. And even if he wasn't, someone else's child would have.

Philanthropy works. Giving feels good. Together we can make big things happen.


No comments: