Thursday, July 19, 2012

The other little project I've been working on...

I start teaching a class next week.

This is the culmination of an 8-month process of getting hired as a part-time faculty member for a major for-profit university with initials controversially similar to the non-profit University I also work for. (If you know me, you understand I'm being transparently obvious in a vague way here.)

I had hoped to transition to teaching shortly after earning my Master's degree in 2009. I applied for teaching jobs online a few times, had a couple of false starts where the doors slammed shut rather quickly and it became clear that it just wasn't "the right time" to take on a second job.

Finally, last November after coming back to work from disability leave for my severed thumb tendon...(Remember that?) I decided it was time to try again. The doors kept opening and I kept walking through them. Written interviews, phone interviews, in-person assessment and one-on-one interview, 5-week training course and now the final stage, mentorship. Throw in a pregnancy, an increasingly busy toddler, a house twice as big as the one I used to live in (with at least that much extra maintenance), and a full-time job and you pretty much have my life for the past several months.

So here we are. July 2012. The final stretch for a couple of major things in my life right now.

When they offered me this class at the end of May, I knew that the start date of July 25th would be getting ridiculously far into my 3rd trimester, and that the end date of August 22nd was borderline dangerously close to my September 9th due date. What to do? I have come so far in the last 8 months that I didn't want to prolong the process, so I accepted. I teach the course, under some guidance and evaluation from a mentor faculty member, and at the end he will decide whether I am qualified to be hired as a part-time instructor. (I'm not sure that showing up with an unexpected 7-month pregnant belly at our first meeting was the best way to set the tone for our relationship, but whatever.)

It's a public speaking class, which is material I am pretty comfortable with, and it's in-person at the university's Modesto campus. I'd be lying if I said the butterflies hadn't hit me hard the last couple of days as I started receiving emails that my gradebook was turned on and that I need to start posting in the online discussion forums.

I'm excited that I am finally making some steps toward getting viable college-level teaching experience that will hopefully open more doors for me in the future, but nervous as heck that I'm going to forget something major or not be able to manage the class appropriately. There's also that small worry that I might go into labor during the next 5 weeks or that my prego brain will completely bungle assignment details and the last 8 months will be for nothing! (Fortunately the hospital where I plan to deliver is right down the street from the campus, so I figure I will have a good couple of hours of teaching in me, even if my water breaks during a class session.) :)

Adding to my nervousness is the idea that if I DO make it through to the end and get hired, that adding an extra 15-20 hours of work a week (even if 75% of it is from home) is going to be a bit much with a baby and an almost pre-schooler. Eek! I'm trusting in the bigger picture though and the understanding that God is in control of all things. And thank heavens I have a great support team who helps me keep things running smoothly!

So, if you wouldn't mind, think good thoughts and send some prayers of peace and preparedness my way over the next few days! I need 'em!

Love,
Becky

1 comment:

Diana said...

Wow, Beck, this is SO cool!! So proud of you for jumping in the pool and doing what you'd dreamed of. Awesome stuff. It's going to be a lot to juggle, but us mamas a pretty good multi-taskers.

You're going to be great!!
Di