Friday, April 1, 2011
Shine
Over a year ago I started thinking about my "One Word." The University where I work developed a student project a few years ago called the "One Word Project." Students are asked to pick one word that best describes their ideal self. The students choose their word and write a brief explanation about their choice. Student photographers then take a black and white photo of the student depicting their word. (Check 'em out at the link above - they're really cool!) As staff members and alumni, we've been asked to think about what we would choose as our word. I've never really shared my word with anyone because I was a little embarrassed to be so transparent. After Wednesday's post, I decided it was time to share my word and start living it.
My word is Shine.
If you read the last post, you'll remember I talked about how much I love the "shine like stars" reference in the Bible. This word encompasses everything I would like to see in my ideal self. Not in a Rachel Berry gold star chart, uber-success achieving kind of way, but in bring light to the world and make people smile kind of way. :)
The other day I was reading random blogs (some things just can't be helped) and I came across a woman who has a similar philosophy that she is taking to the next level. She has created "The Shine Project." Every week there are different challenges to help you bring light to the world. Things like, give a compliment a day or love your neighbors. It's kind of awesome. She describes this idea of "shining" much more eloquently than I ever could on her blog. She also created a "Shine" necklace and $1 from each sale will go into a scholarship fund for inner city kids. I think I know what I want for Mother's Day (hint hint).
Do you have a "one word" you'd like to share? If you don't, something to think about!
Happy Friday! Let your light shine today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Love your word, Can't wait to experience your bright light!
That is so cool Becky! I've never thought about a "one word". Definitely something to think about.
PS I think "Shine" is perfect for you!
Thanks Kate! You're so sweet! I'd love to hear what words you and the girls come up with. :)
Post a Comment