Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Old Favorite Gets His Due

Last fall I started seeing these ads in a couple of the parenting magazines I read:

These were my exact thoughts:
1) Ads for Sesame Street! So awesome! This warms my heart. (imagine an internal smiley emoticon here) 2) Lovable furry old Grover is finally getting his due! Amazing!

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I saw an ad on youtube stating that Super Grover 2.0 week was scheduled for February 21st-25th, and freaked out.




Really. I kind of did a little bit. In fact, as I read the advertisement aloud in a sort of guttural frantic way, I actually made Luke cry a little because he happened to be sitting in my lap watching Sesame Street youtube videos and had never seen Mommy get quite that excited about anything. Oops.

I also saw this ad in a magazine and it made me want an ipad more than anything in the entire world. (If you have one, please go buy this app and enjoy it for Luke and I!)


And, lastly, I saw this on the internet this morning and it made me incredibly happy that other people understand how exciting it is that Grover is finally getting his glory after years of living in the shadow of that little red muppet that shall remain nameless.*

"After playing second-fiddle to Elmo the interloper for far too long, Grover — that is, his alter ego, Super Grover 2.0 — is finally getting some time in the spotlight. Starting Monday, Feb. 21, Sesame Street will be celebrating “Super Grover 2.0 Week”, featuring a daily segment with everybody’s favorite (furry blue) superhero, whose powers involve the ability to observe, investigate, question, and report phenomenon to help kids solve problems. SG2.0 will also get some love on sesamestreet.org, with web-only clips and games. Am I only one out there who feels this Grover tribute is long overdue? Maybe it’s because I’m a child of the 70s, but it’s always bothered me that These Darn Kids Today seem to be all about Elmo ..."
--Kristen Baldwin, Entertainment Weekly

Luke and I have been enjoying the Super Grover 2.0 clips via sesamestreet.org the past couple of days and I have basked in the warm thoughts that I may start finding Super Grover merchandise in department stores again...for Luke of course.
.
Pictured:
Super Grover, *that red interloper muppet that I have actually come to love and respect over the past 15 months, and my favorite muppet background players - muppet food! - do you see the banana wearing a super hero cape? How can that not make you ridiculously happy?

No comments: