Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Photo Studio

I have always fancied myself a photographer. The only problem is that I'm REALLY NOT very good. I have good ideas, but am never that great when it comes to executing them. The best ones always end up slightly out of focus or my composition is all off. Despite this, I still try. Over and over again. Sure it might be nice to have pictures done by someone with a really great camera...and lighting...and experience, but heck that requires me to make an appointment...and spend money...and leave the house. Here are a few of my recent endeavors in what I like to call "Mommy's Photo Studio" AKA blankets taped to the crib or draped over a chair or boppy. I promised my mom that I would splurge on Luke's 6-month and/or 1-year pictures and have them done by a "real"' photographer. We'll see...:)

EASTER PORTRAIT
Backdrop:  The solid backing of a fun beachy blanket
Props (all from Target):  Easter eggs ($.79 per pack), basket ($1.99), Easter grass (actually little mermaid pom poms from the dollar section that I thought were a prettier color and less messy than the actual  grass - $1). Luke trying to eat every prop on set:  priceless.

TIGER PRIDE PORTRAIT
Backdrop:  Fleece material that has been sitting around for months that I have been meaning to turn into one of those fringe-y tie blankets.

TWO MONTH PORTRAIT

Backdrop:  Fleece-y tie blanket that covers an ugly hand-me-down chair in Luke's room.
 Props:  Bear from Gram


MATERNITY PHOTOS

Not in the "photo studio." Done with the self-timer at UOP in the rose garden where we got married in 2002. The timer only gives you 10 seconds, so Justin had to hit the button and run around around the roses to get in position. We started off at a different bench, but the sprinklers came on and we had to make a run for it...


Maybe there is something to be said for hiring a professional.

3 comments:

k said...

I'm telling you, we've spent way too much money on professional photos of our girls. After getting them back with drool down the girls' shirts or dirty bottoms of their shoes showing, we swore we'd never pay for photos other than school/sports photos again. I could eat my words, but I've been scorned by the pros!
PS, those are some pretty cute pictures of Luke. I think you do have a photography gift!

Stephanie Stull said...

Haha, great post, Becky!! I just can't get over how handsome Luke is, but of course I expected nothing less! : ) I totally thought your maternity photo was professionally done! What a funny story! That would totally happen to me...it would be just my luck! Lol! Btw, hopefully we can randomly run into each other again soon! : )

Anonymous said...

Soooo funny (your post, not the pictures)! I love them! There's always Mo and Ryan - they're cheaper than those photo places. And let's face it - Mo is hil-ar-ious!