Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Wishes Do Come True!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Hope. Strength. Joy.

The purpose of the Make a Wish Foundation is to provide hope, strength, and joy to kids with life threatening or debilitating illnesses. I have been really lucky to have aligned myself with this awesome organization for the last 3 years. Over the weekend we started a new chapter in San Joaquin County history. Our first Make a Wish radiothon!

For the better part of two days we took over the airwaves of Kat Country 103 in Modesto. I heard stories that made me weep and met tons of amazingly strong wish kids and their families who have been through hell and back. Lauren is 18 and in remission from Leukemia. She is gorgeous and had her wish granted live on air. She left for New York City on Monday and gets to spend 4 fabulous days shopping, sightseeing, and living it up on Broadway! I met Diego who has osteo-something-or-other, a type of cancer that has affected his growth and bone development His wish? Hot wheels! Then there's Gianna who actually gave her wish to the family of the little boy whose donated liver made it possible for her to live. And these are only a few of the stories!

After all was said and done we raised over $90,000, had 10 calls from prospective volunteers, heard from a mom who wants to fundraise at her child's school, had a business offer to sponsor a wish, and got tons of awareness around the Central Valley! I feel so fortunate to have found an organization that I am passionate about and where I can see firsthand what my work is doing. In fact, this Saturday I will be taking 8-year-old Isaac on a shopping spree to Toys R' Us. So you see, wishes do come true!

(Oh, and I got to spend the weekend hanging out with Kitty Cougar. She rocks!)

www.makeawish.org

No comments: