Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Conversations
As you may know, Luke started pre-school earlier this year. He's only there two full days a week, but it's been interesting to watch him navigate a new social community and find out what those relationships look like to a three-year-old.
Conversation #1: Respecting Your Teacher
Setting: In the car on the way to school. The week before I had observed him goofing off with some of the other boys when the teacher was trying to read a story to the class.
ME: Luke, I know you like to have fun with your friends at school, but it is very important to listen to the teacher. We need to be respectful and do what she asks. So, what are you going to when you are in "circle time" and teacher asks you to sit nicely?
LUKE: Play...with...EDWARD!!!!!!
Clearly more conversations need to be had on this subject.
Conversation #2: Self-esteem
Setting: Luke's room, getting ready for school. For several weeks he has told me that a boy named Christopher tells him that he "is small" or "a baby." For the record, Luke is one of the tallest boys in his class, so I think "small" is really a metaphor for a certain milestone Luke has not yet achieved. (Largely due to his mom's lack of motivation and fortitude. It's coming. Swear.)
LUKE: Christopher says "I am small."
ME: Well, do you think you're small?
LUKE: No, I not small. I is big. (Grammar is a developing skill.)
ME: Let me tell you something buddy. In life, you'll see that there are kids who like to say mean and hurtful things. These things are not true and you do not have to listen to them. You ARE big. So... you think you are big. Mommy and Daddy think you are big. Grammy and Grandad think you are big. And, Nonni and Papa think you are big. We ALL think you are big. So, who are you going to believe?
LUKE: Christopher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha! Beck, just found this on your blog, and it's darling... This morning, when I dropped Jack off at school, he wanted to share some toys with another boy, who didn't want to share with him... Jack yelled and the boy kind of poked him in the eye. The boy got in trouble, and I sat down and reminded Jack that if the boy didn't want to share, he should "say 'please' and not throw a fit." He said, "XXXX threw a fit first. He's having a bad day." God love 'em! :-)
Post a Comment