Monday, October 18, 2010

Hair Update

After the post about my hair issues a few weeks ago, I did what any modern girl would do and asked for help on facebook. The best, most viable option came via email from a fellow Pacific alumna. She seemed to understand my plight perfectly and gave a glowing recommendation for her stylist, Ashlee. (Side note:  Hair stylists at fancy salons make me nervous. They intimidate me with their trendy outfits, their cute hair, and their youthfulness.) Ashlee, though young and probably way cooler than me, was actually very down to earth and made me feel quite at ease. She did keep repeating, "yeah, I can see it's been a long time..." as she surveyed my lifeless locks, but she did it in a fairly good-natured way. Leading up the appointment, I'd had an internal struggle for several days over what kind of style I wanted; and as I sat in the chair I had to confess that I hadn't been able to decide if I wanted a bob with no bangs, a bob with side bangs, long layered look no bangs, short layered look with side bangs...fortunately Ashlee was quite willing to give me her professional opinion. (Another side note:  I just realized why I agonize over haircuts so much. I guess I feel that if I am going to spend $45 or more on a haircut, it better be something drastic/noticeable/worth it, i.e. not a trim.)


*
With Ashlee's expertise, we went with a layered look...no bangs and some subtle natural-looking highlights (Read:  I'm still a brunette). Nothing too drastic, but enough to give my look a bit more life. This was my first experience at an Aveda salon (a term that meant absolutely nothing to me until last Wednesday), and I kind of dig that all of their products are made with natural ingredients and that they help support indigenous peoples. I'm strongly considering springing for some of their shampoo. It makes you smell like you washed your hair in nature..what could be better? Wait, I know! Calling Ashlee tomorrow to schedule my next appointment, so the cycle of scruffyness doesn't begin again!

*Justin doesn't take me seriously when I ask him to do stuff like this, so I had to take the pic myself in the mirror like myspace circa 2006.

4 comments:

k said...

First of all, great hair! Totally cute!

second of all, don't you love when stylists give their opinion? It's so helpful. Yours obviously knows her stuff!

Becky said...

I always appreciate the advice from professionals! And thanks, I'm not sure how sold I am on the cut, but whatever. It'll grow and then I'll agonize over what to do with it the next time. :)

Stephanie Stull said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it sometime this week : )

Shelly said...

Becky, the new hair looks really great on you and you definitely strayed away from "the mom bob". YAY! I love it!

P.S. I like the 2006 myspace-ish picture. It made my smile.