Monday, May 17, 2010

Hello, You Are Officially Old

I'm usually a big fan of trends that skew WAY below my age bracket. Twilight? Yes please. High School Musical? I can't help myself. Jonas Brothers? Yes, even them sometimes (hangs head in shame). But there is one new tween trend that I just can't get behind...Justin Bieber. What, you might ask, is a Justin Bieber? He is the latest in a slew of flash-in-the-pan, Disney-approved teen stars singing about themes way above their maturity level. I get that some of his songs are catchy and that he has that wholesome, nice boy image that makes teenage girls swoon, but really? He looks like he's twelve.



Sorry Justin Bieber. I just don't get it. This is one "old lady" who does not have the "Bieber Fever," as they say. (And that's probably a good thing since he is nearly half my age.)

Read a pretty funny essay about the "Bieber Effect" in pop culture written by Stuff Christians Like blogger, Jon Acuff.

4 comments:

k said...

Oh man, Justin Bieber...Aria thinks he's the most awesome thing out there. It makes me laugh so hard. He's a baby! All the events they've had to cancel on the order of the police for reason of public safety? Hilarious! Anyways, Aria wants to be Mrs. Justin Bieber or Mrs. Nick Jonas. Justin Bieber being her first choice ha!

Becky said...

I'm SO glad you weighed in on the Justin Bieber phenomena. I was hoping you'd have some insight as the mom of a tween (ack! I just called Aria a tween!) I suppose our parents thought we were crazy for some of the Tiger Beat sissy types we liked. :)

Som Crafty Lady said...

I kind of like the song You smile....I'm not going to lie.

Becky said...

Pure honesty. That's why I heart you friend. :) I have purchased 2 Miley Cyrus songs on itunes, so I'm not here to judge anybody.