Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday Sesame Street



Dear Sesame Street,

You have brought me many years of education and enjoyment. I remember the days when everyone thought Snufflepagus was a figment of Big Bird's imagination and being gravely disappointed when I missed the episode where he was revealed to be more than just an imaginary friend. I remember the sadness when Mr. Hooper died. I remember finally being old enough to understand the adult references in many of the sketches and the deep appreciation I felt when I realized what a high quality educational program the Children's Television Workshop had created. I remember the money spent on t-shirts, watches, keychains, and other paraphanelia from the now defunct "Sesame Street Store" and how nerdy I probably was for wearing said clothing in high school. (Don't judge me.) I remember the long philosophical conversations about my dislike of Elmo and the disdain I felt for his meteoric rise to fame in the Sesame universe. I remember getting my first checkbook before going to college and choosing the Sesame Street checks. (Again, don't judge.) I remember getting excited about communication journal articles and books that used Sesame Street as an example of the media's effect on children.

My love for you Sesame Street has not wavered over the years and, as you usher in your 4th decade of quality children's programming, I am excited to introduce your world to my children. Although, I'm not sure how successfully I can do that without cable...but that's beside that point. (That's what classic Sesame Street dvds are for.) So, happy birthday Sesame Street. Thank you for bringing me many years of laughs, teaching me that "cerrado" means closed in Spanish, that counting to 12 can be lyrical, and that sharing is caring. I am forever grateful.

Love, Becky

2 comments:

Emily Grunder said...

The Today Show had a super cute segment about Sesame Street :-)

k said...

I would never judge you for wearing Sesame Street clothing! When I first met Rob, he used to always wear around a Guy Smiley t shirt and he was 19!