
A couple of weeks ago, Justin and I went to a Sunday afternoon movie matinee (Transformers II, if you're interested). A couple dressed similarly to those in the above picture were in front of us in line. We had to wait several minutes before we could get into the theater, so I had ample opportunity to assess their attire. A thorough search of flickr and google images couldn't turn up anyone that could even compare to the kids I saw. The girl had bright pink hair that was done up in a pony tail. The guy had purple hair that was less mohawky and more emo, bangs over the eyes kind of thing. They both had impressive make up jobs that matched said hair colors and included upper cheek bone star art and other shading. And the piercings! Don't even get me started on the number of accessories each one of them sported! (Including, but not limited to, 4 necklaces on the girl - including a pink studded dog collar choker and a belt buckle that said F**K in silver lettering. )
Now, don't misunderstand me. I am TOTALLY not judging these individuals and their choice of fashion, but I did have several thoughts:
1. It is an IMPRESSIVE level of commitment to go to that level of accessorizing, making up, and layering. It's a rare day that I even put makeup on to go to the movies, so their commitment to their look was impressive. But honestly, can you do the pink/purple hair goth/punk look without REALLY committing to it? I don't think it's something you can just do halfway.
2. It cannot be cheap to dress like that. Most of my clothes are from Target or Old Navy (if I really go all out), so the leather mini skirt over leggings over fishnets, PLUS knee high boots and three shirts from Hot Topic looks like an expensive endeavor to me.
3. Do people who dress to these extremes find each other already looking like that and decide they are a good match? Or, does the relationship start off with one person as the more agressive goth/punk dresser and persuade the other to step up their efforts? Or, do they decide to pursue the look together. Chicken or egg people? What comes first, the "look" or the relationship?
4. Props to pink and purple hair for being brave enough to go to the movies in STOCKTON dressed like that. I mean, we're not exactly known for our edgy punk rock culture here.
4 comments:
Love it! I think everything you said, I've thought at one point or another. I agree, the commitment level is impressive! I don't think I could commit so deeply to a look.
But I think I am going to need that belt buckle, you know for special occasions like back to school night and PTA meetings. (-:
YES! I love the 3rd point....it is something to ponder. Sadly enough, I'm becoming immune to anything that happens in this town anymore....or anything I see, for that matter. Great assessment, Beck! : )
I know! I mean where does one buy a belt buckle with the F-word on it? Does it have to be custom made? Am I just not shopping at the right stores? We should go look for one when you make your California appearance? :)
I like the idea of it being custom made! "Yes, if you could just please have it spell out the f- word in rhinestones, that would be great. All caps. Thanks."
And yes about my CA appearance! It would be appropriate for Kenny's wedding right?
Post a Comment